Kit Available Through New Blog, SAM
Date: October 20, 2008
Contact: Paul Golden 303-224-3514, email@example.com
ENGLEWOOD, COLORADO—The thought of planning financially for the rest of one’s life can feel overwhelming, but now there’s a free, one-stop guide available to help individuals get started. Sponsored by the National Endowment for Financial Education® (NEFE®), the NEFE Wealth Care KitSM addresses the basics of personal finance, from budgeting to estate planning. The kit is located on a recently launched Web site called Smart About Money, which was created to help consumers take control of their personal finances, and offers an abundance of self-help information to encourage individuals to improve their financial well-being.
"Planning for the future often is a daunting task,” says Ted Beck, president and CEO of NEFE. “Instead of feeling overwhelmed when dealing with financial crises, past or present, gain control by educating yourself on how to handle your situation. The Smart About Money Web site offers the resources to help Americans do just that.”
The NEFE Wealth Care Kit is a recently redesigned educational package created to help all consumers establish and maintain a financial wellness program. It contains information about basic financial planning principles, investing, retirement and estate planning—all presented in an easy-to-read and easy-to-implement format. Along the way, the kit provides readers with worksheets and charts that help turn knowledge into action.
The Smart About Money Web site also features information on virtually every financial topic, including:
- A list of “10 Basic Steps” about controlling money provides consumers with everyday ideas about how to save, spend and budget wisely.
- An assessment quiz to help consumers identify their individual financial needs.
- The NEFE Financial Literacy Resource Center,SM which allows consumers to search for materials that address their individual money-management concerns, from college planning to credit.
- The “Facts of Life” section directs consumers to financial planning information that is organized according to specific life events.
- A link to the downloadable “LifeFocus” software to help consumers with their retirement planning. It includes six modules to help individuals balance goals, visualize alternatives and develop an action plan to gain financial independence.
The Smart About Money Web site was created as part of NEFE’s national public awareness financial literacy campaign, which launched last fall. The campaign includes print advertisements and television public service announcements intended to raise awareness about the importance of taking responsibility for gaining control of one’s personal finances.
Log onto www.smartaboutmoney.org to access a wealth of self-help financial information. To download the NEFE Wealth Care Kit, click on “Take the First Step.”